- People : We welcomed Robert Morris as our new Professional Board member, and thanked Andy Donovan for his expert advice to the Board over the last year. Robert officially takes up office on 1st December. We also welcomed as an observer Carilyn Burman, who is returning as CEO in January 2023 after a period of maternity leave.
- 2023 Strategic Plan: we agreed our Strategic and Business as Usual Plans for 2023. Our three priorities remain the same, namely
– upholding standards while pursuing innovation and reducing regulatory burdens,
– Enhancing consumer information
– Championing fair access for all
In all areas we identified important new workstreams, including a new handbook to support the CRL code of conduct, and support for entities on EDI
- Monitoring Performance: The Board had a good discussion on our performance to date, noting a strong record of delivery across the board. We were particularly pleased to see a huge improvement in CPD compliance by CILEX fellows with a 57% reduction over the previous year (700 outstanding compared with 1646 in 2021).
- Consumer Strategy: we reviewed progress on the key activities undertaken in 2022, and agreed our objectives for next year, including further work on transparency especially for the new CILEX-ACCA Probate Entities. We also had a good discussion on Legal Choices welcoming the improvements made to date in reaching consumers but wanting to see more progress on measuring impact.
Our next planned Board catch-up is on 6 December with our next full meeting on 23 February 2023.
Access the board papers for the 17 November meeting.