The CILEX code of conduct sets out the standards of behaviour that are expected of our regulated community. Every member of CILEx and every approved manager, practitioner and business we regulate must follow the CILEx Code of Conduct. The code has nine simple principles which must be followed. These are:
- Uphold the rule of law and the impartial administration of justice.
- Maintain high standards of professional and personal conduct and justify public trust in you, your profession and the provision of legal services.
- Behave with honesty and integrity.
- Comply with your legal and regulatory obligations and deal with your regulators and ombudsmen openly, promptly and co-operatively.
- Act competently in the best interests of your client and respect client confidentiality.
- Treat everyone fairly and without prejudice.
- Ensure your independence is not compromised.
- Act effectively and in accordance with proper governance and sound financial and risk management principles.
- Protect client money and assets.
Learn more about the CILEx Code of Conduct